Thursday, October 29, 2015

Fall Color in Another Client's Garden



A long-term client just sent this splash of red; it is Nyssa sylvatica or Tupelo tree. It grew well when I worked on Martha's Vineyard (likes more acidic soil than Chicagoland), but rarely do you see such a fine specimen as this beauty. This tree is also mature enough to demonstrate its horizontal branching, a desirable trait given that few trees here embody that characteristic.
I have learned more about gardening from this client than any other. This is a small section of her larger landscape where she has been generous & knowledgable enough to share a unique collaborative process over many years. With a science background, she has taught me much about chemistry, water, compost, vegetables, pest & diseases, proper planting technique and of course, design. In our dynamic, I have stretched considerably. Of course: that is a gift. So too, her garden: it is a bit like my step-child. I have been privileged to know it intimately, watch it grow & evolve and to love it like my own.
Especially, since "the cobbler's children" applies to my own garden, I am lucky for this client in a multitude of ways. I wish we all had the good fortune of a terrific mentor.

No comments: