Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Highlights from Chicago Garden Tour with PAC HORT


Last week I was lucky enough to lead a day's worth of garden tours for a group from the West Coast: PAC HORT (Pacific Horticulture Society). Years ago, when I visited the Norton-Simon Museum in Pasadena, I loved the sculpture garden. Its Landscape Architect was Nancy Goslee Power; I learned more about her through a copy of PAC HORT on sale at the museum. So, it was a nice surprise when they contacted me about leading a day of their Chicago garden tour.


We began in a private residence that I designed (no photos). Next, we went to a Chicago landscape Mecca...National Historic Landmark: Alfred Caldwell's The Lily Pond. (Top pix.)
These bike riders in their matching red shirts added great dynamic energy to the gray skies in front of the Lincoln Park Conservatory.


Since I was leading the tour, I do not have any of the photos of Millennium Park's Lurie Garden done by the stand-out team of designers, Gustafson/Oudolf/Israel.
But I did get these fun shots of the Gehry Pavillion, Anish Kapoor's "Cloudgate" (locally referred to as "The Bean") and Jaume Plena's Monumnetal Heads.



No comments: