Saturday, November 23, 2013

Last Week in Illinois' Landscape: Marriage Equality and Tornadoes


Two impressive events occurred in Illinois last week. I can only say that it took long enough for our Legislature to pass Marriage Equality, but I am glad it finally happened. The law takes effect in June 2014 and I believe I will be attending several weddings. At long last, my LGBT friends will receive wedding gifts from me instead of visa-versa! 
Here I have only photos related to our tragic weather story: we were one of the last flights to leave O'Hare airport Sunday morning before it was shut down for tornadoes. Ironic how what speaks of tragedy can look so beautiful. For those who don't live here, I can only say that tornadoes are normally a Springtime event and it's not lost on me that they occurred in Illinois during the week of the shameful Warsaw Climate Change Conference and in the week following Typhoon Haiyan's horror. As usual, you can find good coverage on Democracy Now (11/22/13, another day steeped in national tragedy, 50th anniversary of JFK's murder). 


No comments: